Selected as a 2015 Super Lawyers Rising Star, Aaron M. Olsen is a senior associate in the employment law and consumer litigation departments of Zeldes Haeggquist & Eck, LLP. No more than 2.5 percent of attorneys in California are named to the Rising Stars list. Mr. Olsen was also nominated as one of San Diego’s Outstanding Young Attorneys in 2011 and 2012. Mr. Olsen’s practice is focused on representing employees in all aspects of labor and employment litigation in federal and state court.
Mr. Olsen also prosecutes complex class action suits, including consumer fraud actions, product defect cases, antitrust litigation, wage & hour actions, and unfair competition and false advertising claims, among others.
NOTABLE PAST CASES
Mr. Olsen’s notable past cases and accomplishments include:
Successfully resolved a number of wage and hour cases, wherein Mr. Olsen not only recovered substantial economic damages on behalf of his clients and the class of employees they represented, but he brought about significant positive changes to the subject employers’ labor practices, thereby positively influencing the lives of thousands of workers.
Obtained over 100 settlements for individual employee clients in labor and employment lawsuits, including among others, wrongful termination, harassment, retaliation, and misclassification matters. In doing so, Mr. Olsen has recovered millions in damages on behalf of his clients, for, among other things, past and future wages, emotional distress, punitive damages, and attorneys’ fees and costs.
Obtained a successful verdict at trial on behalf of clients in a wage and hour, misappropriation of trade secrets, and breach of contract action. Mr. Olsen not only helped obtain a full verdict in his clients’ favor, but persuaded the Court to find that the opposing party brought the action in bad faith and award Mr. Olsen’s clients’ substantial damages, attorneys’ fees and costs. The judgment was recently affirmed in full on appeal. See a copy of the opinion here.
NOTABLE CURRENT CASES
Mr. Olsen’s notable current cases and accomplishments include:
Serving as co-lead counsel for a nationwide consumer class of purchasers of an alleged defective power adapter in a consumer product defect class action against Apple, Inc. In re MagSafe Apple Power Adapter Litig., Case No. C 09-01911 JW. On September 27, 2011, the Northern District Court, Judge Ware, issued an Order Granting Conditional Certification of Settlement. Subsequently, on March 8, 2011, Judge Ware issued an Order Granting Final Approval of Class Action Settlement.
Serving as co-lead counsel for a nationwide consumer class of Trump University seminar purchasers in a class action against Trump University, LLC and Donald Trump for violations of California consumer protection statutes and material misrepresentations regarding its seminars. Makaeff v. Trump University, LLC, et al., Case No. 3:10-CV-00940-IEG-WVG (S.D. Cal.).
Serving as co-lead counsel for a nationwide consumer class action against Sony Electronics, Inc. alleging fundamental flaws in the design and/or manufacturing process in the VAIO Touchpad Notebooks. In Re Sony Vaio Computer Notebook Trackpad Litigation, Case No. 09-CV-02109-AJB-MDD (S.D. Cal.). On September 25, 2013, the United States District Court for the Southern District of California issued an order granting class certification to California and New Jersey residents who allege Sony Electronics, Inc., knowingly marketed and sold laptops containing defective touchpad components. A redacted copy of the order can be found here.
- J.D., California Western School of Law, 2008 (Editor-in-Chief, California Western School of Law Commentary; Student Bar Association, Executive Board Member)
- B.A., University of Utah, David Eccles School of Business, 2002 (Business Finance)
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Nicholas Boylan, APC, Attorney
- Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd (formerly “Lerach Coughlin” and “Milberg Weiss”), Law Clerk
- San Diego County Office of the Public Defender, Law Clerk
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- California Employment Lawyers Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Consumer Attorneys for San Diego, Member
- San Diego County Bar Association, Member
- William B. Enright Chapter, American Inns of Court, 2010 Associate
- California Department of Real Estate, Broker Licensee, ID No. 01914011
- 2010 California State Bar Litigation Review, Discovery Update
- 2010 San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, Small Business Award Judge
- 2010 USD School of Law Appellate Moot Court Competition Judge
- Guest Writer, San Diego Lawyer Magazine